I just moisturized and combed my hair; I checked my big 'wide toothed' comb and found out that I had just a few hair strands on it. That means people that my hair didn’t break like crazy. For the first time in ages, my hair did not break madly when I combed it (even when I was fully and newly relaxed my hair broke like crazy).
I don’t know if it is because of my intensive hair treatment over the couple of months but I intend to keep doing so until I see results. I might tweak my regimen by adding/substituting products but I would keep carrying out the hair treatment.
So here is what I have been doing, hope it helps someone out there.
- I always pre poo with a hot oil treatment. I would explain all the terms and my techniques in another post if it is requested for but now I would just state the steps. I cover with a plastic bag for about 30 mins-1 hour or overnight.
- Shampoo with a diluted sulfate based shampoo. My dilution is 1:1 which means I mix 1 part of shampoo to 1 part of water. I wash only once then towel dry. My current shampoo brand (and it would be for a long time since I am diluting it and 1 bottle would last quite a while) is VO5. It is quite cheap, here it is sold for 450 naira but as a sharp Lagos babe na I went to the wholesalers and bought it for 300 (you know a born and bred lagos chic from her ability to search for a good deal). I even got 2 bottles…….*coveringmyeyes
- Apply my protein treatment using a mix of my hair mayonnaise from Africa best (might change it when I am through to organic root stimulator brand because I discovered that Africa best brand contains mineral oil), mayonnaise (regular food mayonnaise), a mixture of my oils. shea butter and egg yolk. Sometimes I substitute the hair mayonnaise with my Hawaiian argan oil mask (a recent development). My oils presently are castor oil, olive oil, amla oil, carrot oil, profectiv growth oil, Africa best’s ultimate oil and haiwaiian argan oil. I cover with a plastic bag or shower cap and leave on for about 30 minutes.
- Rinse with cold water then rinse with black tea. I use regular top tea, ginger flavored for now. I really don’t have a defined measurement for this. I go with the flow. Black tea rinse is said to help shedding. We would see about that later.
- Rinse with water, towel dry then apply deep conditioning treatment to return moisture to my hair. I mix Africa best’s hair mayonnaise or organic root stimulator's replenishing conditioner (a recent development and a wonderful one, the smell is amazing) and a small amount of my mix of oils. There is no egg yolk added to this mix. I cover with a plastic bag or shower cap, wrap a wet hot towel on my head for 15 minutes (I keep unwrapping and immersing the towel in hot water when it gets cool). Ideally a steamer or heating cap should be used but I don’t have any of that.
- Rinse with cool water, towel dry then when my hair is about 40% dried I apply my leave in conditioners, Profectiv daily strengthener and Doo gro leave in conditioner then air dry.
And that folks is my very loooooonnnnnnggggggg washing regimen. After my hair is dry, I seal with my mix of oils alone or apply my whipped shea butter mix and castor oil especially on my thinning edges.
I have a daily routine too. Since black hair is prone to dryness, the goal is to keep it moisturized so I moisturize my hair twice a day (morning and night) with a mix of water, my oils, glycerin and normal conditioner in my spray bottle. In the mornings I seal in the moisture with my whipped shea butter mix and castor oil and in the night I seal with a very little amount of pink oil and castor oil.
That is all folks concerning my hair regimen, I intend tweaking my regimen as I discover how my hair responds to various products and find the best products for my hair. If you have any questions concerning my hair regimen, the reasons for some steps, the products used, how I mix my protein treatment, deep conditioning treatment and oils just leave a comment below and I would be sure to answer to the best of my abilities.
I really hope I have been able to help someone with their healthy hair journey. I gotta run.
P.S: How do you guys like my new blog look? I love it. I impressed myself, I hope I impressed you. To get to see the full beauty of my blog, check out with a computer. You would be truly amazed.
Oh dear...wish I had your patience and enthusiasm towards my hair. I wash it every two weeks and comb it every two weeks as well x_x In between I just abandon the hair :( Breaks so badly.ReplyDelete
Great write up (Y)
You could try doing a protein treatment and deep conditioning treatment every time you wash. The protein treatment would help stop the breakage. Please try to incorporate it into your washing regimen. I used to envy your hair in school please don't let it break o.ReplyDelete